The Eltigen bridgehead, created after the landing of the Russian 318th Division south of Kerch on October 1943, earned the nickname of ‘Land of Fire’ after the 1.5 months of continuous bombardment by the besieging Germans and Romanians. The Romanian’s 6th Cavalry Division and 3rd Mountain Division were tasked with reducting the bridgehead. The assault was scheduled for 4 December and the Romanians were reinforced by one German StuG battalion and strong German artillery. The attack began at 5:00 after a five minute artillery barrage. Only the right wing of the Romanian forces managed to advance. On the left, the Soviets put up a heavy resistance, especially near the state farm and on Hill 56.7, where they had a pillbox. The next day, the attack continued with the main push made from west to east, towards the state farm and the lighthouse south of Eltigen.
Attacker: German / Romanian (Romanian 10th Motorized Rosiori Regiment and German Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung.191)